Saturday, January 10, 2009

The estranged kitty

My cat Anouk and I have been living more like room mates than a cat owner and her beloved kitty in the last few days. I feed her, she eats. She doesn't talk to me in her funny cat language anymore. She doesn't wait for me at the door when I get home. She doesn't come to cuddle. She even pretends to not wanting to eat her wet food (but she eats it when she thinks I am not looking) when she used to relentlessly  beg me every morning for it.

The reason for this is that she thinks I am cheating on her. See - there is something living in our guest bedroom and she doesn't know what it is. She might have guessed it though. However, she doesn't like it.

I am spending way too much time in that room, seemingly neglecting her.

That something is a little kitten who I adopted a few days ago from a shelter. The reason I am spending so much time in there is that the kitten is very sick and needs all the love she can get.

The kittens name is Penelope - Penny (we finally decided on that name and will most likely stick with it). She is 10 weeks old. She is sweet and loving and happy that we freed her from that little cage she was living in at the shelter.

But yesterday she started sneezing and coughing and she didn't stop. Her little body was shaking through and through. It was a sad thing to watch. I took her to the closest vet immediately and they prescribed her antibiotics. Seems that she has Upper Respiratory Infection which is very common in cats from shelters. I have been giving her the antibiotics and I will have to keep her in that room longer than I planned so she cannot infect Anouk with her virus. 

The coughing has stopped. She is still sneezing a bit though and now she is drooling like Homer Simpson when he is thinking about the Gummy Venus. She is also not eating very much which is probably a side effect of the antibiotic and can become a big problem. Especially since she is so skinny that you can feel pretty much every single one of the bones in her body.

So I am spending a lot of time with her on the sofa in the guest bedroom, on my lap, to keep her warm, a fleece blanket covering her.

And of course Anouk doesn't know any of this. I did try to explain it to her but even though she is a smart kitty - I don't think she is smart enough to understand my words.
So I am going to have to wait for Penny to hopefully get better soon so I can introduce the two kitties and hope that they end up really liking each other.

If they don't like each other, tough luck. They will just have to learn to deal. Because I love Anouk and I have definitely already fallen in love with little Penny.

So now I just want that little bundle in our guest bedroom to get better.

Penny, the day before she got sick:


And on E's lap:

No comments: